I get so so many questions on dieting and overall health. Weight has been a struggle for me in the past but I have found that I feel my best when I focus on consistency and balance, rather than restriction. I figure that sharing how and what I am eating each day and why may be helpful to some of you. No, this wont always be perfect, and I'm ok with that.
So a few things you should know before I start this series on what I am eating:
- I am virtually dairy free. Milk really tends to upset my stomach. There is NO WAY you will see me drinking a dairy latte or eating ice cream (unless I am feeling dangerous). Cheese doesn't seem to bother me nearly as much, so I occasionally will eat that, but I try to save it for indulgences-- like nachos.
- I am a total freak and don't really like breads or pasta (I know, what is wrong with me?!) I just have kind of stopped enjoying those foods, so I don't eat them often.
- I've completed a Whole30, and loved it. Yes, it was hard. No, I don't want to do it again, but I did adopt a number of things from those 30 days.
-Day to day I am not trying to stick or conform to anything too rigid, I am a human. I follow what I call the 80/20 rule. When I prep meals at home (80% of the time), I am good. I keep what I eat relatively clean. I follow a paleo-esque diet. I do consume the occasional meal that will involve legumes and corn, but whatever. The other 20% of the time, I may go out, or order in, and during those times, I eat what I want. Why? Because I want to. I don't ever want to lead a restrictive diet that has zero flexibility. I feel like diets like that lead to 1) hunger and 2) guilt if you do cave and eat poorly. For me, if I get a bad craving for something or I'm out with friends, I eat what I like, and move on. I get right back on track. While I do normally keep myself in check, the occasional order of Chinese will slip in.
So now that you know my basic guidelines, let's jump in to what I eat:
Before Meal #1 | Lemon Water & Vitamins
I drink a large glass of warm water with lemon with my daily vitamins. This helps to 'reawaken' my system. Cold water can shock your system and may be too harsh first thing in the morning. My vitamin regimen is ever evolving but right now I take 3 separate supplements for hair, skin, and nails, along with 1 Relora, 1 Silymarin, 1 Probiotic, and 1 Green Coffee Bean Extract.
Meal #1 8am | Bulletproof Coffee!
See my post here about this miracle drink.
Meal #2 10:30 am | Protein Shake
I make mine with Chocolate Shakeology or Vega One Protein, 2 tablespoons of Peanut Butter, 10oz of Cashew Milk, Hemp Seeds, and Ice. This keeps me full for hours and I literally love that it's like drinking a milkshake. I look forward to it everyday.
Meal #3 2:00 pm | Grazing or Arugula Salad
I can't lie, more often than not lately I have been 'skipping' lunch. Or, I haven't been making an actual lunch for myself. Quite often I find myself grabbing quick bites from the fridge-- cherry tomatoes, a slice of turkey, an apple, a hard boiled egg white-- things like that, until we eat dinner.
If I am not in 'graze mode' I will normally make my FAVORITE salad:
2 Handfuls of Arugula
1/2 an Avocado
Grapes or Unsweetened Dried Cranberries
1/2 of a Grilled Chicken Breast
Salt & Pepper
Meal #4 6:00 pm | Protein & Veggies
Now, I am fairly creative when I'm in the kitchen so even though 'Lean Protein and Veggies' is on the menu, it is anything but boring. Some of our favorites are:
-Paleo General Tso's Chicken & Cauliflower Fried Rice
-Ground Turkey Meatballs with Zoodles & Marinara
-Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi
-Taco Stuffed Peppers
-Ground Turkey Zucchini Boats
-Ground Turkey Chili
-Salmon with Green Beans & Cherry Tomatoes
I can't say it enough-- get creative when you're cooking! If you want any of these recipes, let me know! I will do a post on them!
Meal #5 9:00 pm | SNACK TIME
Y'all I KNOW I am not the only one who gets the munchies around bed time while I watch Netflix. Now, I try really hard to not snack at night, but when I do, I've been trying out healthier options so I avoid reaching for my favorite Chex Mix. These have been my recent go-to. OMG they are so good. I literally buy two bags a week at Trader Joes. I think the sour cream & onion are the best, personally. I read an article comparing them to another favorite of mine--popcorn. And while popcorn isn't bad, with this you can eat much more for so many less calories!
So there you have it-- a day of eating with me! Now, of course I still eat out from time to time and 'indulge' but this is what always come back to and try my best to stick with. Following this sort of 80/20 diet has successfully helped me in losing 30 pounds (seriously) since April. Go me!
If you have questions, let me know!